What We Like
- The program is focused on moderation, a balanced diet, and getting enough exercise
- A number of studies have shown that Jenny Craig has a good track record for short-term weight loss results
- 24-hour telephone support is available for advice and encouragement—a key component of the program
What We Don’t Like
- Transitioning from pre-packaged, portion-controlled meals to your own cooking requires extra planning and discipline
- The initial registration fee can top $400 in some areas—that’s in addition to Jenny’s Cuisine weekly food costs
- Many dieters report feeling hungry between meals due to the plan’s low calorie content
How Jenny Craig Works
Jenny Craig is a comprehensive diet program that addresses weight loss from 3 important perspectives: food, physical activity, and attitude. Different plans are available for women, men, teens, spouses, and seniors. All diets range from 1,200 to 2,300 calories a day and are determined according to current weight, fitness and eating habits, and motivation level.
With paid registration, the program includes a personalized meal and exercise plan and weekly one-on-one counseling sessions with a Jenny Craig consultant. Once dieters reach their goal weight, they continue to work with Jenny Craig counselors to learn about portion control and healthy cooking as well as smart food choices for eating at home and while dining out.
Programs options include in-person support or Jenny Direct programs. In-person support entitles customers to attend weekly meetings, live consultations, and food pick-up at one of 650 Jenny Craig centers. Jenny Direct provides similar support over the telephone and includes home food delivery for an additional fee.
What The Experts Say About Jenny Craig
- High marks for long-term adherence—Jenny Craig edged out competitors in the 2011 Consumer Reports diet ratings update. Ninety-two percent of participants stuck with the Jenny Craig program for two years—a rate that far surpasses similar programs. Consumer Reports 2011.
- Number two diet for weight-loss—Weight-loss experts who rated diets for U.S. News ranked Jenny Craig the second best diet to lose weight and the #2 best commercial diet in terms of easy to follow, nutritious, and safe. U.S. News & World Report 2011.
- Effective for long-term results—Jenny Craig has been found to result in greater long-term weight loss. Participants who took part in weight loss counseling, set behavioral goals, and increased their physical activity in addition to following the Jenny Craig diet lost an average of 8 percent of their body weight. JAMA 2010, 304:16.
Tips for Success
- Follow the recommended 3-per day consumption of Jenny Craig prepackaged meals
- Supplement your Jenny Craig meals with fresh fruits, vegetables and nonfat dairy products
- There are no taboo foods on the Jenny Craig plan, although it’s best to spend your extra calories wisely when you feel the need to splurge
- Use good judgment when dining out and stick to portion control guidelines as much as possible
- Exercise is an important aspect of the program; be sure to follow the activity plan recommended for you by your Jenny Craig advisor
Save Money on Jenny Craig
ShedYourWeight.com continually monitors Jenny Craig promotions to bring you valuable, money saving coupons as soon as they’re available. Offers change and they sometimes expire quickly. Be sure to take advantage of the deals you find here before they’re gone.
Looking to compare diet plans? ShedYourWeight.com is your source for reliable information. We’ve conducted thorough fact-based reviews of the most popular diet plans in the country. Read more diet plan reviews here.