What We Like
- Quick results yield a 2-5 lb weight loss average per week
- Specialty plans accommodate a range of medical conditions and lifestyle choices
- Low-glycemic index formula is beneficial for diabetics and others needing to control their blood sugar level
What We Don’t Like
- The 6-meal per day regimen requires some planning and changes to typical meal schedules
- Medifast recommends waiting 2-3 weeks before incorporating exercise
- Extended, 8-16 week transition phase is required to wean off of meal replacements
How Medifast Works
Medifast is a portion-controlled meal replacement program designed to induce a calorie deficit through a structured plan that includes six meals each day. Medifast replacement meal options—you choose 5 per day—include shakes, soups, stew, chili, oatmeal, scrambled eggs, and a variety of drinks, desserts, and snacks. All Medifast replacement meals contain a balanced mix of protein, vitamins, minerals, fiber, and other nutrients.
Dieters on the Medifast plan also prepare one, heart-healthy “Lean & Green Meal” consisting of a lean meat plus salad and/or vegetables. In addition to contributing necessary calories and dietary fiber, the Lean & Green Meal teaches dieters how to select and prepare healthy meals while still enjoying the convenience of the structured 5 & 1 Plan.
When followed as directed, Medifast causes the body to enter a mild fat-burning state within the first week. This fat-burning state is a normal adaptive mechanism the body uses to manage energy and prompt the release of fatty acids. This mild fat-burning state—also called dietary ketosis—helps the body achieve faster weight loss while preserving muscle tissue. The fat-burning state also helps naturally reduce appetite and hunger while sustaining sufficient levels of energy.
What The Experts Say About Medifast
- Medifast for quick weight loss results and long-term heart health—This examination of Medifast meal replacements produced significant weight loss for 93% of participants—roughly twice as much as the rate demonstrated in controlled clinical trials of currently approved diet drugs—and yielded changes in body composition that favorably impacted many cardiovascular health outcomes. Nutrition Journal 2010, 9:11.
- Medifast for weight loss in diabetics— Portion-controlled diets such as Medifast have been shown to help type 2 diabetics adhere to a weight-loss program and reduce medication use. This study found that diabetics using meal replacements lost twice the amount of weight and experienced less weight regain after one year of maintenance. The Diabetes Educator 2008, 34:1.
- Medifast combined with prescribed weight loss medication–Results from this study found that when added to appetite suppressant medication for weight loss, Medifast meal replacement supplements contributed to results better than those typically reported for similar type programs. Eating Weight Disord 2008, 13:2.
- Meal replacement plans like Medifast are safe and effective—A comprehensive look at several scientific studies concluded that diet plans which include meal replacements can safely and effectively produce significant long-term weight loss and improve weight-related risk factors of disease. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord, 2003 27(5).
Tips for Success
- The first three days of the Medifast plan are critical to your success, so pick a start date that makes sense for your schedule
- Plan ahead to ensure you’re never without a scheduled meal replacement
- Keep your body hydrated by drinking at least 64 ounces of water each day while on Medifast
- Rearrange your Medifast Meal routine so that you can enjoy your Lean & Green Meal at any special occasion involving food
- Schedule your Medifast re-orders at least one week in advance so you don’t run out of Medifast Meals
Save Money on Medifast
ShedYourWeight.com continually monitors Medifast promotions to bring you valuable, money saving coupons as soon as they’re available. Offers change and they sometimes expire quickly. Be sure to take advantage of the deals you find here before they’re gone.
Advertising Partner of Medifast
Looking to compare diet plans? ShedYourWeight.com is your source for reliable information. We’ve conducted thorough fact-based reviews of the most popular diet plans in the country. Read more diet plan reviews here.