Just because you’re trying to lose weight doesn’t mean that you can’t enjoy a sweet snack once in a while. In fact, it isn’t a bad idea to grant yourself a small treat once a day if you can develop the willpower to stop at just one.
Sometimes when dieters begin eating healthier foods, they remove sweet snacks from their diets completely, which backfires. Cutting yourself off from candy or chocolate cold turkey can cause you to lose control. That often leads to a binge-eating episode that cancels out any progress you’ve made, and it can even make you feel hopeless enough to stop dieting altogether. Or, you may feel so guilty that you cut out sweets from your diet again, only to fall into the same out-of-control behavior once more.
To avoid or break out of this vicious cycle, give yourself permission to enjoy one small treat every day. Fun-size candy bars are a perfectly sized snack for you when you’re trying to lose weight. Almost every candy bar you can imagine comes in the small serving size. Eating just one each day may satisfy your sweet tooth without blowing your diet.
Here are seven tips to help you resist the temptation to eat more than one per day:
1. Keep your bag of small fun-size candy bars in the freezer. Only remove one for your snack each day.
2. Don’t eat a candy bar during times that you’re feeling rushed. Enjoy them slowly when you have a few moments to sit down and savor the flavor.
3. Don’t bring the whole bag to work with you. Take only one candy bar with you when you leave the house.
4. Give the entire bag to someone else to hold for you. Pick someone you can trust to hold you accountable and divvy out one candy bar per day. Choose someone you can’t manipulate in any way.
5. Only choose to eat fun-size candy bars that you absolutely love. Don’t waste calories and fat grams on something you only like a little.
6. Exercise about 10 minutes extra every day to make up for the extra calories. If you eat more than one, tell yourself you must exercise 10 minutes more for each additional candy bar you eat.
7. Drink a glass of water with your treat each day to help fill your stomach and make you feel more satisfied.