Organic foods are products of animal or vegetable origin which have been produced without using synthetic chemicals or genetically modified components. Organic food was not exposed to irradiation and following their production, the environment has not suffered. To be considered organic farming the livestock and organic vegetables production must take place according to ecological principles, for a minimum of 3 years. Here are some of the benefits of organic food:
1. Production of vegetables, fruit and organic meat does not use chemicals (pesticides, hormones, etc…) unlike the ordinary foods you find in your local supermarket. For example, a conventionally grown apple contains about 30 artificial substances, concentrated in the skin, even after washing.
2. Organic grown vegetables and fruits contain at least 50% more vitamins, minerals, enzymes compared with those of conventional grown. Chromium is a micronutrient deficiency found in many modern diets and it is 78% more concentrated in organic food. Selenium is a powerful antioxidant that protects us from free radicals and it is 400% more concentrated in organic foods than in conventional foods. Calcium has a 70% higher bioavailability in organic food. Lithium, used in treating various forms of depression, is 200% more concentrated in organic food and magnesium that is necessary for the musculoskeletal system is 140% more concentrated.
3. Eating organic food is the only practical way to avoid and protest against genetically modified foods. The big food companies in their effort of cutting costs are pumping an ever increasing number of chemically and genetically modified foods on the market.
4. Dairies, for example, must be consumed as natural as you can because everything that exists in supermarkets comes from farms where animals are treated and fed with mixtures of antibiotics, hormones and other drugs that promote increased production. In addition there is the danger of feeding animals with genetically modified soy. This happens a lot in highly industrialized countries.
5. The taste and aroma of organic fruit and green vegetables are different from those that are grown industrially. They have by far a much richer taste and flavor.
You should also check out How to eat for a healthy lifestyle.